Friday, July 18, 2014

Thrifty Thursday: Shopping for Costumes and new work clothes

Hey all! Welcome to another Thrifty Thursday!
(I know, I'm a day late, but personal family situations caused me to be a little behind in finishing this post- better late than never I always say!)
Last week I went thrift shopping for some costume pieces for an upcoming production of "Fiddler on the Roof" where I will be portraying the eldest daughter, Tzeitel. I stopped at 3 different thrift stores in my area (luckily all quite close to each other) and got many pieces to complete my costumes AND I scored some awesome finds to help add to my work wardrobe. Starting next week, I will be starting a new job at my company (in the video department) so I am excited to get some new threads to add to my work attire.




Here's the thrifty lowdown:
 
Good Stuff Thrift (2 trips) Total spent: $34.42

I stopped here first on my treak for costumes, and ended up finding more items for my closet than costumes! I went back the next day after finding the one item at SalVal that I remembered seeing matching shoes at Good Stuff but didn't buy on day 1, but was sad to find that they had already been swiped by another shopper, though I did score some awesome fabric scraps and shoes on day 2 at Good Stuff.

Day 1: Blue and gray striped Xhiliration dress: $7

Day 1: Black vest: $4

Day 1: Blue Ann Taylor Loft top: $4

Day 1: Salmon Blouse (was my backup top for costume, though ended up going with floral top found at Goodwill)- was 40% off, so it was: $2.40

Day 2: lace curtain to be turned into veil: $3

Day 2: American Eagle shoes, great condition: $6

Day 1 & 2: 5 fabric scraps (ranging from 50 cents and $2 each): $7.46


Salvation Army (2 trips) Total spent: $30.27

I had seen the wedding dress there the first day of thrifty shopping, but I was on a mission to get my main costume done and didn't have as much time as I'd like to shop- so I bypassed trying it on, sent the picture to the director and the costumer. After they approved it, I went back the next day, and to my delight, a) it was still there, b) it was now 1/2 off- unlike the day before and c) is sorta fit (we are adding a panel in the back- my boobs are too big for its current state. lol). (Not shown- plain white mens dress shirt for $3, that will be shredded for "Dream scene" in show.)

Day 2: Lace wedding dress for show: Was 50% off!: $20 after sale- so much lace!

The train on this dress is ALL lace ruffles. LOVE IT! We are going to cut down the train a tiny bit and use the lace from it on the back panel to make it fit my big boobs. lol
Salmon skirt (was 50% off): $2

Old school picnic basket: $5


Goodwill (1 trip) Total spent: $3.66

I didn't really find a lot here, which is SO unlike me- though I was happy to find the top, since it matches the skirt perfectly. I was glad I found this cute little teal guy to dress up my dining room (which I'm trying to add pops of teal to) and he was so cheap!

Floral top (on sale blue tag): $2.63
Teal blue man (50% off)toy/decor thing: $0.97


Check out some of my finds put together:

Fiddler on the Roof Costumes from finds:

skirt+floral top+vest
Tzeitel's wedding Dress (I couldn't zip myself in, but when the panel gets added in the back, the sleeves will fall on the right spot.)


Casual Work attire (mixed with a belt I got at Good Stuff a while ago, and pants I got from my mom, when she was cleaning out her closet):


Total spent between 2 days at 3 stores: $68.35 (though I'll be getting $20 of that back, from the costumer for the show, unless I decide I want to keep the wedding dress), so technically $48.35! I know that isn't the absolute cheapest amount, but for the amount of stuff I got, I think that is fab!
I think I did quite well, to be honest.

In other happenings, we had a fantastic 4th of July get together at our humble abode. I didn't really snap many photos- I was starting to get the feelings of a cold coming on (which kicked my butt that whole weekend trying to fight it), so my photography was a little scarce, but here are some pics from the fun event.

4th of July!
We tried a 3 layer punch- Cranberry Juice, Blue Gatorade and Diet 7-Up. We used the Blue Hawaiian Punch on round 2 since we didn't have another bottle of Gatorade.

My toilet-paper roll firecracker decor. Super easy and quick to make. (Also, my cat became obsessed with the strings, when I brought them inside)

My 4th of July attire. Casual Red, White and Blue!

The full firecracker decor. I had another one on the other side of the deck, but it looked the same as this.


We've been busy doing rehearsal for the show, so we haven't had a whole lot of time to do much around the house. With me starting my new job next week, my afternoons will soon be free (I will be getting out at 4pm when my new schedule goes in fully!) so I'm sure to have more projects on the way. Have I mentioned how happy and excited I am to start this new job? I'll be doing graphics for our video department, along with video editing. I am SO looking forward to this fun opportunity. I can't wait!
So have any of you found any fun thrifty items this week at your local thrift stores or yard sales? I'd love links to your finds! (Leave links in the comment section).


Hope you're having a thrifty Thursday!
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some comment love all!